Current Games/Timelines

What is Star Wars RPG Club? How do I play? - Feel free to post your questions in this forum.
Michael
Full Name: Michael

Current Games/Timelines

Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:20 pm

I'm curious, is there any location which all the current games and their timelines is listed? I'd like to know when some of the games are timed, and whether persons playing in that era tend to be aligned to one side or another.
Jon Allen
Branch GM

Re: Current Games/Timelines

Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:53 pm

No there isn't. You'd need to look at each individually. Though their forums are blocked according to which era they exist in.

The vast majority currently in play are set about 10-12 years after the Battle of Endor, continuing the original SWC timeline that existed when the club was unified so that they could make use of existing characters.
Michael

Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:05 pm

Ah, well that's good to know =) Do you know if there are any campaigns or games set within the rebellion/empire era, either several years before the battle of yavin to four or five afterwards?

I actually noticed the wiki had somewhat of a list of some campaigns on the front page, but I take it that's not close to being all of the current campaigns, at the moment?

If I wanted to join a particular campaign, I take it that each of the forums might have information as to who to contact to do so?
Jon Allen
Branch GM

Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:09 pm

Yes each forum is a separate game. You want to figure out who the Gamemaster (GM) is of that particular game, and contact that person by posting or sending him a Private Message. The easiest way to tell, is it's generally the person starting the most new threads and posting In Character Rounds for the game's players.

That's the person with all the info. On that game, character creation, timeline, plot, etc.

I haven't looked at the wiki in a while, but I think it's very out of date. Games come and go and lately the wiki hasn't been updated enough to keep pace.

If you want to make general inquiries club wide, I recommend posting on the Out of Character News Forum. That's a great place to post something like "Hey I'm looking for a game that needs another player. I'd really like to play this type of character..." Something like that.

But I really wouldn't do that and sit back to wait. Not everyone checks all the forums. If you spot a game that really interests you, I recommend first checking to make sure that it's active (look for in-character posts dated within the last few weeks, if you see none, then the game may be virtually stalled). And then start making house calls to individual GMs as I explained in the first couple paragraphs of this post.

My advice is not to get too hung up on the idea of playing a particular era. Figure out what game system(s) you want to play, and what kind of character(s) you want to play. Then find a game that fits those categories.

Down the road, I expect we'll see games set in a wider variety of Star Wars eras and more opportunities to play in them. But for your first game with us, you just want it to be active (moving at a good pace) and enjoyable, to help you get situated with the club.
Michael

Mon Aug 03, 2009 2:03 am

I've a question about new campaigns and so forth. Are only certain people permitted to run them as GM, or can any member try to make a pitch for a new campaign and offer to GM it?

Not that I'd want to do so too soon, I've still only played several games myself and would definitely need more knowledge of the game and rules to do so, but it might be something I could look at for the future.
Jon Allen
Branch GM

Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:43 am

As long as you've got 1 GM and 1 interested player down in writing, you can create a petition to be voted on by the moderators to get a game started.

There used to be stricter guidelines (mostly informal) on who could be a GM, back before we reworked the club, but that is no longer feasible. A new player coming in might know more about Saga or some other game system than any of the vets, and be a perfect candidate to be a GM.

We've also just shrunk to the point where the club really needs some new blood, people willing to take up the reigns and help keep the club energized. So my preference is that I WANT to see people jump in and try their hand at being a GM.
Michael

Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:26 pm

Awesome, I'm glad to hear that! I was thinking that, given enough experience in different campaigns and with the game mechanics, I'd be interested in perhaps running a campaign around the rebellion era, which to be honest is my favorite timeline :P Do campaigns run on their own rules and so forth, as far as the restricted races and whatnot, or is that mostly up to the GM?
Jon Allen
Branch GM

Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:42 pm

First off, just for clarification's sake, we call them "games". Campaigns are something else. Just to avoid future confusion. The Shadow Campaign is a campaign, most of the other playing groups you see on these forums fall under the games category.

And the GM sets the rules. What game system (i.e. WEG D6, Saga, or homegrown, or a mix of those) is used, what kinds of characters the game uses. How character creation works. The Gamemaster for a specific game has total control.

Just keep the language relatively clean, adhere to some common sense decency standards befitting a family-friendly establishment, and you get free reign. The only hoops you have to jump through is writing a game petition and getting it approved by the club's moderators. Then you talk to the system administrators to get a forum. The rest is up to you.

The club is like a venue, a venue for games. You come in, rally some players, ask for a table, get provided one, set up your table, and play cards. And if you decide that Blackjack is really all about the number 22, that's your business. The only people you really gotta answer to are your prospective players.

Return to “SWC Help Forum”