How long is an "encounter"?

What is Star Wars RPG Club? How do I play? - Feel free to post your questions in this forum.
gydiwon

How long is an "encounter"?

Wed Aug 11, 2010 10:26 pm

I have a question about the Saga Edition rules. There are several places where the term "encounter" is used. For instance, the Influence Savant talent from the Jedi Academy training manual is usable once per encounter. How is an encounter defined? Is it once per battle? Or is it once per mission?

My GM thinks an encounter is the entire mission. But from the perspective of 4th Edition D&D, an encounter is just a battle. So "encounter" powers refresh whenever you take a short rest in between battles, even there may be several battles as part of a single mission. What do you think?
Matt Nolan

Re: How long is an "encounter"?

Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:02 am

Hello, and welcome to SWC.

The Saga edition rules haven't had a lot of airplay here, as we mostly run games using the WEG D6 rule system. In order to answer your question, though, I had a quick flick through the Saga Edition Revised Core Rulebook and found a definition of an encounter in the Gamemastering section (Chapter XIV, p247).

I won't quote the definition here, but it seems fairly straight forward to me. Mind you, I'm not running your game, and therefore my opinion doesn't count for a great deal.

Good luck and good gaming,

Return to “SWC Help Forum”