What is the NR Army using? (toying with game idea)

Jon Allen
Branch GM

What is the NR Army using? (toying with game idea)

Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:17 am

Question, its been so long I can't remember. in SWC's timeline, last anyone played in the NR Army, what combat vehicles were they primarily using? Standard issue tanks, speederbikes, etc.

I feel like that was pretty detailed at some point, probably back when the NRA was an active branch. But I can't remember. I briefly had an artillery officer character there, but that was it.

If they had a standard issue model rifle/pistol that would be helpful to know as well.

I might try to put together a game in this area, as a GM, still figuring out the framework. It would be unusual in that it would incorporate both a strategic layer of play and a tactical layer of play. So any players involved would have 2 characters, one a Colonel or General, commanding a large unit at the "management" level, the other some Sergeant in the same command participating in the same battles and campaigns but from a front-line combat perspective. And we'd alternate points of view.

Got the idea while reading some of Jeff Shaara's work. Rising Tide for example, is set in WWII and shifts from the perspectives of men like Eisenhower, Rommel, Patton, Montgomery, especially in the North Africa campaigns of 1942-43, but also shifts perspective to a Private Jack Logan, American tanker fighting in the campaign, then it goes back to the "strategic" level, portraying characters who are working at the "bigger picture" level. The idea would be to try and encapsulate that into a single RPG game.

Not sure if it would be part of the 20 ABY Unified SWC timeline, or something set right after the Battle of Endor. If the latter, the framework would be the New Republic Army as a brand new entity, mobilizing new Army units, finally fighting the Empire in a conventional war rather than the tactics and strategies of the rebellion.
Tim
Full Name: Timothy Schenks

Re: What is the NR Army using? (toying with game idea)

Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:55 pm

Jon Allen
Branch GM

Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:04 pm

Cool....didn't know this was still around. Thanks!
Mod
Executive GM
Full Name: Eric C

Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:12 pm

Wow, indeed, seeing that page does bring you back, doesn't it?
Corey Lovelace
Full Name: Corey Lovelace

Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:33 pm

Anything you need not on that page Jon, and I might be able to help you.
See you later, Space Cowboy
Jon Allen
Branch GM

Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:21 am

I think I have all the 'technical data' I would need. The looming question now is whether or not to proceed. I'm starting to see that what I want to do would require lots of supporting materials, like a never-ending stream of maps that can be used to portray very large battlefields.

I might keep working on this as a game-building project while doing something else that is less sophisticated. Unless there is a lot of player interest in it.

Return to “GM Cantina”