Second/Shadow Imperium distinction

Jon Allen
Branch GM

Second/Shadow Imperium distinction

Sat Aug 03, 2013 6:46 pm

What is the difference between the Second Imperium and the Shadow Imperium in SWC's timeline? I'm struggling to remember. And what does each possess in terms of military assets, territory, etc? Speaking in very generalized terms.

This is just one aspect of SWC's timeline that I've struggled to wrap my head around. Really looking at this from the angle of the opposition. So for example an NR game, 20 ABY SWC timeline, with one of the Imperiums as the enemy.
Benjamin M
Group GM

Re: Second/Shadow Imperium distinction

Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:25 am

Neither exist in the 'jump foreward' timeline :P?
Tim
Full Name: Timothy Schenks

Sun Aug 04, 2013 8:33 am

It was 9 years after Endor (~12 ABY) when most of us were playing in SWE. We spent ten years real life playing one or two years in the game, so I don't know how to react to a jump forward of eight years. :shock:
Jeremy H
Executive GM
Full Name: Jeremy Harris

Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:46 am

It was 9 years after Endor/ 14 years ABY from what I remember.

when Justin adjusted his shadow campaign to 16 ABY it made perfect sense to me. I'd been playing for around 4 years at that point and actually moving things forward felt right. People had promoted 2 or three times and fought in dozens of battles or events, not even factoring in hyperspace travel time.

A lot of people couldn't recall everything from back then, and a lot of it was tied up by players/gms that haven't come back. The 4 year skip forward allowed for setting changes if needed and breathing room to close down any old story lines and start fresh. It also allowed for Justin's campaign to come to a close... Our conceit, or at least MY conceit, is that it's the same world.

There haven't been any major changes to the NR. The Empire is a different but they were left in the middle of a civil war and a couple of epic storylines.

Ben can elaborate on his vision of the 20 ABY Empire... I know he's been collaborating with Justin as well.
I play... therefore I am.
Jon Allen
Branch GM

Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:58 am

Ok so what is the status of the Empire 20 ABY in the SWC timeline?
Aaron
Full Name: Aaron Petlikau

Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:29 pm

Ben posted a link in the "Imperial Reboot" thread in general discussion. I would link it but it's faster to type all this on my phone than copy/paste :)
Benjamin M
Group GM

Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:56 pm

Jon Allen
Branch GM

Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:06 pm

Thanks, I believe I did read this before, but I forgot.
jperry
Site Admin
Full Name: Justin E Perry

Tue Aug 06, 2013 1:53 pm

Hi Jon,

The Second Imperium was the Empire in SWE from 1995 to about 2004. When we started the second tactical in '95 we established the backstory that after the Thrawn Trilogy, several warlords fought for control and a group out of the Elrood Sector led by Trask K'tar came out on top. K'tar forced the other leaders to sign the Treaty of Berchest which made him Supreme Commander of all Imperial forces.

Around 2004 we started this civil war storyline jn SWE that was spawned by events that occurred in the Galaxy Campign. K'tar had "died" in a adventure with the Jedi and Dark Coalition and the grand inquisitor, Ly'can Stormkiller, seized power.

The Empire was split in two. Stormkiller's group still referred to themselves as the Second Imperium but those that opposed them, led by the Sith, met on Torchin and proclaimed themselves the Shadow Imperium.

The storyline continued after 2009 as part of Shadow Galaxy. I bumped up the time to 16 ABY but it had no real impact to the story. The bump was just long overdue since we had been on 9 ABY forever.

Michelle and Ben just killed Stormkiller in their last adventure so there's no Second Imperium anymore. The Shadow Imperium now just refers to itself as "The Empire" but it is still called the Shadow (or Sith) Imperium by others.
Justin Perry
Shadow Galaxy Campaign Gamemaster
System Administrator
bparker
Forum Admin

Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:11 pm

Yep, never underestimate the power of doodles...
A mind is a terrible thing...

Return to “GM Cantina”