File uploading/attaching

Jon Allen
Branch GM

File uploading/attaching

Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:33 pm

Hey all,

I've noticed that the forum doesn't allow you to attach files, at least not those with a .doc extension. What does it allow you to attach?

Also, I'm looking for advice on a good way to upload files for public access. I'm talking about files, probably word documents, that I as a GM can put up for others to read or download. I've tried a few different sites but haven't found one I truly love yet, and a few turned out to be bad sites that wanted you to download adware/malware. It needs to be free. Any advice?
Mod
Executive GM
Full Name: Eric C

Re: File uploading/attaching

Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:03 pm

Google drive is your friend, and the easist to file share word doc or pdfs.
It gives you plenty of space, there is no malware, and the drop box download is tiny. You do not need a google email to set it up either, plus you can make the files read only, and it syncs with any other computer you install it on, so you always have access to your files.

This is my suggestion
Tim
Full Name: Timothy Schenks

Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:51 am

I recall they used to discourage using .doc files online because of some kind of virus problem. Is that still the case? I know .docx came out too for the newer computers, but there are a few people who's older computers won't read those.

It's too bad that you almost need a college degree to create a web page now. Used to be you'd type it up or paste it on an html page editor and have it up in a couple of seconds.
Mod
Executive GM
Full Name: Eric C

Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:58 am

I think they make the doc file a google doc which any one can edit online, thru a Web browser, or you can block users from editing it. Yes i miss the good old days of simple html.
Jon Allen
Branch GM

Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:40 pm

Thanks for all the feedback and advice. I'm testing out the Microsoft Skydrive now, just because it seems like it works well for JP and I've never had trouble accessing his public file library.

Return to “GM Cantina”