CP Awards and a variant of that award system

Jon Allen
Branch GM

CP Awards and a variant of that award system

Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:48 pm

About how many CPs was awarded per adventure in SWC circa pre-2009? About how many do you award now?

I'm thinking it was like 5-12. But I'm not sure.

I'm considering instituting my own personal policy on this, basically aimed at awarding more CPs.

The original WEG D6 game system wasn't designed for this kind of online collaborative play, taking months to complete an adventure. You were supposed to sit in a room together and knock out an adventure in a day. With that in mind I'm thinking about greatly increasing the number of CP awards, possibly using a formula that uses, in part, the real life timespan of the adventure as a multiplier.
Mod
Executive GM
Full Name: Eric C

Re: CP Awards and a variant of that award system

Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:01 pm

I like the idea. Some campaigns do move faster than others and some GM's can whip out a full game in a few months, but others take, sometimes a long long time. I think with the old rules though you could be in two games at the same time but now your stuck to one (or am I wrong, I forget! Silly me) so you could maybe join a game that was faster, and one that was more in-depth and longer. Anyways, I always found that games that were started, then abruptly stopped should give some sore of reward (even if it was just maybe a few replies, then it died, like 1-2 cps) just as a sort of compensation.

Anyways to your idea, perhaps a modifier like .1 per month of game time after 2 months, so a game that took a year to finish would award x2 cp's where as a 2 year one would count as x3.2 modifier. But I'm not sure where your target number is.

But then, on the other hand, a lot of us grizzled vets got to where they were for being in the club super long. It was a dice perk for sure, as the vets would be a lot better than the new guys due to being in the club super long, and active. So I don't know how to circle that particular square.

Anyways, just my thoughts on it.

EDIT: oh I awarded 4-9 cp's as my adventures ran shorter than the rest of the club (basically regular game awards, table top) but then again I typically ran fast games, so I supposed I modified it that way, If I were to run a longer game I may have felt inclined to give more)
Benjamin M
Group GM

Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:04 pm

I approve of working out some sort of 'guide' for CP's especially at least for the Unified Galaxy.
Tim
Full Name: Timothy Schenks

Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:29 pm

Jon Allen wrote:About how many CPs was awarded per adventure in SWC circa pre-2009? About how many do you award now?
I remember GMs in the past giving up to 15 cps per the rulebook, with the average being 7. The categories for awards included having fun, teamwork, completing goals, etc. but nothing to do with length of the adventure. It also explained that GMs were supposed to award points more often by episode, not wait until the end for long adventures.
RewardsOther Rewards
Other Rewards, such as cash, equipment, or other material
things, are given at your descretion...
I could note that if you ignore the 15 point limit and give them max for all of the above categories, the maximum would be 23. If the player screws up in all the categories he would get 3...!

The published WEG episodes breaks the adventures into episodes, giving something like 5 to 7 points per episode depending on the character's success. Let's say one short battle, one chase scene, etc.

I remember that Justin increased the 15 limit to 20 when he was running some adventures over IRC, for the extremely long adventures.

Return to “GM Cantina”