Game startup and joining information

Jon Allen
Branch GM

Game startup and joining information

Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:09 pm

starwars/swstats/

On new characters...you get 12D initial dice, plus bonus dice.

If submitting an existing character, please note somewhere that. If its a new character for approval. Please note that as well, so I don't get my wires crossed.

Put squadron information together in a word document and send it to me. Also, for general knowledge, please post here indicating what model starfighter your squadron will be flying, as soon as you make that decision. I don't care if they all end up being of one model, or if we end up with a hodgepodge of fighter models that on paper don't seem like they should be assigned together. Either way, we'll make it work. So don't worry too much about what the other guys are flying. Just make sure you pick something that YOU want to fly. By posting that information here, ahead of your squadron's "sheet", it'll benefit me and your fellow players as we think about this game.

Btw, you all will belong to the 11th Fighter Wing, which will, on paper, consist of about 6 fighter squadrons. Any squadrons not led by PCs will be commanded by NPCs and filled out by me. The Wing Commander will be an NPC and your boss. The concept behind this large fighter wing is that it is a strategic asset. Something the NR Defense Force planners can push (independently) around the board, just like a Navy Taskforce or an Army Brigade. So one adventure you might be stationed aboard a carrier. The next you might be housed at a base on a planet. This is not an "elite" Fighter Group. It is a new Fighter Group, definitely frontline but scratch-built from squadrons pulled in from all over the New Republic.

The 11th Fighter Wing will have additional support infrastructure at the Wing level. Think about the composition of any Air Force base, support personnel in different departments, the equivalent of a motor pool of general-use vehicles, additional support ships to transport the people and "stuff" needed to keep operations going, etc. We won't get deep into the logistics here now, just know that it will exist.

If you have any questions about this process, any of it. Post them here. If you are thinking it, someone else probably is too.

Send your stuff to burndaddy02 at yahoo dot com when finished.
Jon Allen
Branch GM

Re: Game startup and joining information

Mon Sep 02, 2013 8:11 pm

Additional Information.

If you have an existing character that was active in the NRSFC prior to SWC grinding to a halt in 2009, that you are "re-activating", with this fast-forward of about 4 years, you can add 6D to the character sheet as a one-time bump. That assumes you haven't done something like this already in another game.

If you haven't already gotten a boost in rank, via playing in another game like Karlien, we can discuss that as well. On an individual case by case basis. A promotion of at least 1 rank up is probable in that span of time, 2 is possible to my mind. These are PCs after all and by definition, above-average individuals by galactic standards (especially when compared to NPCs).

I recommend adding a "character update" block of information to the background, that lays out what you've been doing the last 4 years or so. Even if its just been flying and serving in the NRSFC. Doesn't have to be long, just a handy reference.

The Cease Fire with the Empire is still in effect as of the start of this game. Much of the last 3-4 years has been dominated by that peace. On one hand that means plenty of time to train and practice (and train others), or serve as a test pilot, and go attend advanced war colleges or leadership training programs. But it also means considerably less combat. More akin to a peacetime military. At least some of the "old veterans" who flew against Thrawn and K'Tar's Second Imperium and earlier campaigns have seen the opportunity to leave military life to fly shuttles and raise babies.

Keep that in mind as you shape your new or existing characters and as you shape your squadrons's composition.

As you can probably imagine, this will give you the opportunity to take a "peacetime" squadron of pilots, some of whom have probably never seen combat, even if they've been flying fighters for 3 years, and see them through the transition to a "war time" environment. That in itself could make things a lot more dramatic to roleplay.

I'm not saying there was zero combat in that timeframe (for example anti-piracy operations), but a whole lot less of it with considerably fewer participants. Localized hotspots and crisis zones, rather than the Galactic Civil War going full tilt. Plenty of young pilots throughout the New Republic itching to see some "real action" have watched those crisis events unfold on the holonet from afar. While a few squadrons have seen combat in one crisis or another. That's the general setup as we start our game.

And FYI, that doesn't necessarily mean the Cease Fire with the Empire ends with your first adventure in the 11th Fighter Wing. The Empire may not be the enemy you face, but your enemy will be a deadly foe all the same.
Last edited by Jon Allen on Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Corey Lovelace
Full Name: Corey Lovelace

Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:07 am

I'll go ahead and say I'd like the X-wing AC-4 for my squadron.
See you later, Space Cowboy
dwisniewski
Branch GM

Tue Sep 03, 2013 10:49 pm

I'd think there would be enough out there to do it twice.
Jon Allen
Branch GM

Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:45 am

The policy is "fly what you want to fly". Let me worry about all the rest.

Return to “"The Eleventh Fighter Wing" (NRSFC)”