"Post Meeting Side Bar" (Zukov & Allard)

Jeremy H
Executive GM
Full Name: Jeremy Harris

"Post Meeting Side Bar" (Zukov & Allard)

Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:45 pm

OOC: I decided to move this from the main thread in case others did have questions for the General.

IC:
Jake didn't have any questions... at least not for the General. Oh, he was curious about the region and what they'd encounter there, but the transit time in hyperspace would give him plenty of time to review the data. He waited patiently until everybody had said their piece and the Wing Commander dismissed them.

Captain Allard turned to his XO. "Brand, go round up our pilots and section heads for the meeting, I'll meet you there." A curt nod was the Duros' only acknowledgement before sauntering out of the General's building. Is he really going to fight me every step of the way? He shook his head slightly as he watched his fellow Captain leave.

Jakib waited in the hallway for the other pilots to head out and finally caught sight of Zukov and his XO. "Hey Vlad, got a sec?" He stood to the side while the newly pinned Commander relayed any additional instructions to his second in command and then checked to make sure the hallway was clear before he spoke.

"I was hoping pick that aged and venerable brain of yours." He couldn't help but make the age quip... Zukov was one of the only pilots around older than he was. "My XO resents the fact that he wasn't selected to take over as Squadron Leader. He hasn't done anything overt yet, but he seems to be going out of his way to make things difficult or to piss me off. Got any advice?"
I play... therefore I am.
Corey Lovelace
Full Name: Corey Lovelace

Re: "Post Meeting Side Bar" (Zukov & Allard)

Sun Sep 22, 2013 2:51 pm

Zukov was talking with Spince about getting everything ready for their departure as they walked out of the General's makeshift office. "I vant everyone ready in twenty mikes for zhis briefing and get someone in admin to get a copy of zhis datapad to all pilots." Vladimir said, turning his head toward his XO.

Just then Jake caught his eye and asked, "Hey Vlad, got a sec?" Stopping walking, he said, "Sure zhing, after all if it veren't for you I'd still be on Salria in some dark hole." He looked back at Jacen and said, "Go ahead, I'll meet you vhen I'm done. And tell Sorority Girl I vant her to be ready in fifteen, she always tends to take a little to long to get ready."

"Sure thing, old man, I'll save you a seat for the early bird special." His XO replied before walking off, his cutlass clinking lightly as he walked.

"Damn kid, you'd zhink he and zee other pilots vanted to be pirates more zhan pilots vith zee vay zey dresss." He said to Jake as everyone else was leaving.

After the hallway was clear Jake spoke up. "I was hoping pick that aged and venerable brain of yours." He couldn't help but make the age quip... Zukov was one of the only pilots around older than he was. "My XO resents the fact that he wasn't selected to take over as Squadron Leader. He hasn't done anything overt yet, but he seems to be going out of his way to make things difficult or to piss me off. Got any advice?"

"Ah, he vas passed over. Zhat's rough. Vell, lets see, you could try to earn his trust vhile ve are in zee Brak Sector, but zhat von't take care of zee immediate surliness." Zukov thought for a second. "Vas he vith zee squadron before you?"
See you later, Space Cowboy
Jeremy H
Executive GM

Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:12 pm

Jakib couldn't help but grin. "Living up to the squadron name, huh? Mine too. I'll probably look as old as you after a few months of dealing with them."

In response to Zukov's question he said. "Yeah, he's been a Renegade for the last three years now. He pinned on Captain the same day I did actually. It took him six years to do it though, and I don't need three guesses to tell you it was his temper holding him back. Heck... if you don't count my time in the Rebellion he's been in the Corps longer than I have too."

Captain Allard grimaced. "It's all small stuff though. Like he's fighting me in a way that'll make me look like I'm overreacting if I get on his case about it." A half-hearted grin ghosted across the middle aged Alderaanian's face. "And a couple weeks ago I was worried about having to deal with pilots sleeping in or getting hammered before a mission. That seems like a piece of cake now."
Corey Lovelace

Mon Sep 23, 2013 6:09 pm

"Heh, or as I call it, Zhellday." Zukov said in response to Jake's dismissal of the lesser troubles of a Squadron Commander. "Vell, you have it easier and harder zhan if he vere a transfer. Vhile he feels as if you cheated him out of a CO spot, he does have a vealth of knowledge about how zee squadron works. One of zee best vays you can get on his good side is, ask his opinions about little zhings. Patrol rosters, camaraderie building. Zhese are important zhings zhat he vould know more about, as each squadron is an organism to itself. Vhen I first took over Corsair, I got vith Jacen and asked his opinion about everyzhing zhat didn't involve my direct authority over him. For example, if it veren't for him explaining to me zee story behind zhose blasted cutlasses I vould have banned zhem and probably started an uproar amongst zee pilots."

Vladimir ran a hand over his hair as he leaned against the corridor's wall. "Most people respect zhose vho respect zhem. You'll still have some trouble from time to time, but it should die down after he and zee others get more comfortable vith you in command. And make sure he knows zhat vhen you make a decision its final. I had a commander back in my time vith zee Empire vho couldn't make up his mind to save his life. It ended up costing him it vhen zee XO cared more about his own career zhan his commander. Get zhem to love you and zhey vill do anyzhing for you."

Zukov pulled out a cigarette. "Oh, and make sure vhen you get his opinion you do it avay from zee other pilots. Zhey need to see you as superhuman. If zhey follow a normal man, zhey may balk vhen he needs zhem most, but if zhey zhink you know everyzhing, zhey vill follow vithout hesitation. Learned zhat from my friends in zee army."

As he lit up the cigarette he took in a deep breath, giving Jake time to ask other questions.
Jeremy H
Executive GM

Thu Sep 26, 2013 10:12 pm

Zukov's idea was pretty good. It would help Jakib learn about his new squadron and hopefully bring Vetch into the fold. Or at least make him a little less surly. The comment that really caught Captain Allard's attention however was the assertion that a squadron was an organism.

Jakib was a student of the hard sciences... he was an engineer after all. There were rules to that sort of thing. If he added a phase converter at a power coupling the output amplitude would increase by a set amount. That's just the way things worked. Things weren't that simple when it came to biology however, for Jakib anyway.

He'd unintentionally brought that mode of thought to his squadron. If life had taught him anything it was that people were infinitely more complicated than any machine. Yeah, especially girls.

The rest was easier said than done, but he understood what Vladimir was saying. His previous squadrons had all functioned as a unit, they worked together. Sung might have been a bit on the wild side, but Jakib would have flown a Deathstar run with that man if he'd asked. The idea that he was now supposed to inspire that feeling in other pilots was a bit daunting to say the least.

"Thanks Zukov, you've given me a lot to think about. Right now I'm afraid we need to catch up with the meeting before we're late ourselves."
Corey Lovelace

Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:31 pm

"Yeah, I guess ve should." Zukov replied as he stood up from his lean. "Last bit of advice. One of zee vays you can project zhat air of confidence is, to forget alot of zee parade precision. No need to look like you just had durasteel velded to your back. Slouch a bit, hell scratch yourself from time to time. If a superior officer is relaxed, zhen zee junior officers feel like zhere is nothing to vorry about."

Zukov clapped the Alderaanian on his shoulder and chuckled a bit. "After all, it only var. Vhats zee vorst zhat could happen, right?" The older pilot then sauntered off toward where his squadron was waiting for him, a thin tendril of tarbacca smoke trailing behind him.

Return to “"The Eleventh Fighter Wing" (NRSFC)”