Selection Time

Moderator: jkelley

jkelley
Group GM
Full Name: Justin Kelley
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:08 am

Re: Selection Time

Wed Feb 07, 2018 3:12 am

Glick gave a small nod to Kallan before the other group set off in the opposite direction. Trev moved forward, motioning to the other two yellow team members. "We got point, space out and eyes open. We don't want to get caught with our pants down." Yellow team moved out then, blue team following from behind.

------

The pace wasn't breakneck, but it was quick. Yellow team dipped out of sight at times, scouting ahead before doubling back. The occasional sound of a vehicle could be heard zooming overhead, but the foliage was too think to determine what.

They had a lot of ground to cover to even get the base in eyesight, but finally Trev came back into view, motioning blue team to his position. Ronzay and Jazi had dropped down behind cover, their attention towards the base. Trev rendezvoused with Kallan and his team, coming up close. "Eyes on target. There's decent cover up to the perimeter fence, but not so good after that." He said quietly. "Power's out, but the fire seems to be primarily the perimeter buildings and towers. We'll have a bit of an open space to traverse to the HQ. Some good news, the command center is intact and still defended. There's a lull right now, but I saw them unloading demos. The bad news, the building is surrounded and I can't see a path in."

Zeegri holds a hand up for silence, listening to a com that you hadn't notice she was carrying. Her hands move methodically, fingers tapping against one then the other, her head tilted down. "6 fire teams. 2 acknowledged, 4 haven't. Pickup inbound." She shakes her head, "The code was a little different, but I think I caught the gist of it." She shrugged.

"This whole thing feels off." Trev says, a troubled look on his face.

Coun nods, and Zeegri says, "I've been thinking about it too. Commander Ghou is listed as administrative stationed at fleet command, a retired pilot that isn't even part of the Republic anymore, and the Chief...he's supposed to train the NCOs to be instructors back at boot." The Sullustan seemed to be reading from memory. "I'd guess this 'base' is about company sized from what I saw and made up from non-existent personnel assigned throughout the New Republic forces and officially doesn't exist. 6 fire teams of storm commandos, 6 groups of trainees."

"Not to mention they brought a single corvette and a couple assault shuttles. More than enough," Trev says as he gestures towards the base. "To overwhelm what they had back there. For the Imps, that initial execution was perfect. Combat is never perfect, not like that. That they didn't level the whole place, and specifically kept the command center untouched..." He trailed off, all three turning to look at Kallan.

OOC: You are about 70 meters from the perimeter of the base. It's a simple chain fence designed to keep the wildlife out, but not much more. Cover extends to a couple meters from the fence and the base appears to be well lit from the fires.
User avatar
Matt Nolan
Posts: 618
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:26 pm

Re: Selection Time

Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:11 am

"Whatever they want in the command centre, we want it more. We need to hit them before their pickup gets here, and we need to break that encirclement. Yellow team, you will launch a diversionary attack on the forces surrounding the command centre. I want it loud, I want it brash, make me believe it's real. Draw them off but break contact before you get fixed in place. Blue team will push on the command centre and breach, Yellow will link up and assist with security while Blue completes our SSE."

Kallan looked to each teammate in turn as he continued.

"Whatever the bigger picture is, we have a job and we're going to do it. Draw them off, Secure the HQ, Link up and exfil. Whether the Imps got lucky here or the program was compromised doesn't matter. It won't make them bleed any less or think any quicker. They'll go down just like anyone else"

"Two minutes to get in position, then kick off the diversion. Once we go loud we don't pull back. We are getting in that HQ regardless."
jkelley
Group GM
Full Name: Justin Kelley
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:08 am

Re: Selection Time

Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:03 am

Yellow team nodded their agreement and moved off, circling around the perimeter away from blue team. They quickly disappeared from sight as blue team moved the opposite direction to get as close as possible to the command structure while remaining in cover.

As Kallan approached the perimeter fence, he heard footsteps ahead and ducked quickly behind some brush. A squad of 10 scout troopers marched by from just inside the perimeter. Despite the uniformed march, each had his (or her) head on a swivel, scanning the forest, the rubble, and even the burning fires for signs of a threat. The two minutes were just about up and hopefully the distraction would pull them away...

Blaster fire erupted from the fire side of the compound. The scout troopers all turned in unison, exposing their flanks. Kallan could make out the command structure and watched as those around it started diving for whatever cover was available. The squad leader turned abruptly, motioning for his squad to gather on him. "Rebel scum just outside the perimeter on the eastern edge. Targeting analysis places their strength at squad level or less. 3rd squad is moving to flank them from the west, we'll hit them from the south." He spun quickly and the squad fell in behind him as they took off to the east.

Scanning around, Kallan couldn't see anymore enemies in the vicinity. Getting the signal, Coun moved up to the fence and covered Zeegri as she started cutting the chain link fence. The blaster fire still erupted from the opposite side of the base, but it was more intense now. The Imperial forces around the base hadn't moved completely off yet, and were now exchanging fire with yellow team. Zeegri would have the fence complete in another minute or so, and Kallan was able to get a good look at the base. Kallan approximated 100-120 Imperials around the command structure, but they had moved away from the back side of the structure. There was some rubble that would bring them right up on the Imperial's southwest flank or some fires that would provide limited cover towards the base to the east. However, there was still a 30 meter stretch of exposed terrain from the closest fire to the structure, and if any of the Imperials turned around, they would easily be seen.

OOC: I've attached a high resolution image of the base. :lol:

Blue is blue team.
Yellow is approximate location of yellow team.
Green square is the command structure.
Orange stars are the major fires still burning.
Black diamonds are rubble piles from fires that have already burned out or buildings that collapsed.
Red arrow is the direction the scout trooper took off.
Red semi-circle is the Imperials around the command structure.
Grey rectangles are the enemy spacecraft.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
User avatar
Matt Nolan
Posts: 618
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:26 pm

Re: Selection Time

Sat Feb 10, 2018 6:29 am

...At least the diversion seems to be working...Kallan thought as the Scout trooper section trotted away to the east to flank yellow team.

For a spilt second Kallan had considered hitting them from behind, even though it would have been suicide for the mission and the team. That was the shevved out part of giving orders- not being able to influence what was happening when they were executed. Yellow team were holding up their end, and he had no choice but to trust they would know how long to hang tight and when to fold. He gritted his teeth and watched the lance of hardhats move out.

That only left a company sized element to sneak past. This was the moment where it comes together. All the brash comments and self-talk in the galaxy can't help when you are about to step out of cover, protected by your teammates and a plan. There was no by the book solution for this, the team could get hosed either way. They were marginally better off using the glow from the fires to mask them coming in from the east, but it was a tactical hairsplitting at it's best. Same with moving fast of slow. Probably better off with a slow tactical move than a dead run. Less likely to be spotted out of the corner of someone eyepiece and better able to return fire.

It was the kind of choice the instructors on NCO courses loved- either choice was poor and both could be wrong depending on how things panned out.

...Pick an option and do it...he thought to himself. Motioning to Zeegri and Coun, he signalled they would move out together, keeping the fires between them and the ring of imperials on the northeast then push the building. If they got bumped, it would have to be a flat out bolt to the HQ as best they could manage. Kallan indicated he would lead with Zeegri center, then Coun trailing. Silently send out a plea to the universe at large that the defenders weren't so twitchy they would zorch out his team as they closed on the Command building, he signalled they were stepping off.


Actions:

Order of March- Kallan, Zeegri, Coun.
Cautious speed.
Sneak: Spend a character point each on the Sneak roll if we're rolling dice on this.
jkelley
Group GM
Full Name: Justin Kelley
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:08 am

Re: Selection Time

Sun Feb 11, 2018 6:14 pm

Blue team fell in line and started out towards the command structure, skirting the rubble on their left and the fires on their right. Yellow team was giving it all they could and seemed to have the Imperial Army troopers complete attention. They wouldn't be able to keep the onslaught up for much longer before they were out of power packs. Kallan paused at the edge of the rubble for a moment, using the cover to block any prying eyes while he scanned the path ahead, laying out what he hoped was the best path to the building.

The moment of truth came on the cadet strike team quickly as they left the rubble and relative safety of cover behind and moved into open territory. They were halfway across the clearing when Kallan felt a pit develop in his stomach. His gaze shifted to the west where the enemy was much closer, and the world seemed to slow down for him. One of the soldiers had ducked down to minimize his profile and was changing his blaster's power pack, but his head continued the turn towards Kallan and his compatriots. Nerves had already filled the young medic with adrenaline, and Kallan had no difficulty making out the look of sheer surprise wash over the man's face. 'Man...he probably hadn't even had his first real shave yet.' The thought washed across the edges of his subconscious as he dug his feet into the ground to make the last 15 meters at a sprint. His mouth opened, but nothing came out. Kallan was close enough to see the blood spray from his mouth as a blaster shot tore through his throat, vaporizing his vocal cords and a large portion of his throat.

The trooper clutched at his throat, his eyes locked on Kallan as he dropped to the ground. His legs kicked violently as he choked to death, either on the blood or lack of air. His eyes never left Kallan's though. Another trooper spared a parting glance at the youth, before turning his attention back to the northwest. Then they were across the opening and up against the building.

Cover, however, was a luxury blue team didn't have the cred for. The windows were also barricaded with tables and other equipment. It seemed like it might be harder to get in than first thought. From behind, he heard the loud steps of Coun barreling forward. Turning, Kallan was able to half-move/half-shoved out of the way as the large Whiphid went shoulder first into the window, crashing through and taking the two files cabinets that had been blocking the opening with him. Zeegri was right behind him, yanking Kallan back to his feet and through the opening.

A few blaster shots tore through the opening above blue team as they lay in a heap. It wasn't a graceful entrance, and it took a moment for the stars to clear from Kallan's vision. When they did, he saw two blasters dropping their aim away from him and Zeegri. Three base personnel were in the room, a Nautolan and a Human with the aforementioned blasters and a Wookiee helping Coun off the file cabinets. It was clear they were as shocked at the entrance as Kallan was. The Nautolan reached over and helped pull Kallan from the window opening while the human did the same with Zeegri.

"What in the 9 nine Hells are you doing?" The Nautolan asked, his gaze split between trying to address Kallan directly and looking out the now exposed window. "Get those cabinets back up and secured, and hopefully target practice out there doesn't get any ideas on how to get in."
User avatar
Matt Nolan
Posts: 618
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:26 pm

Re: Selection Time

Mon Feb 12, 2018 7:52 pm

Winded from the impact, Kallan took the Nautolan's hand and pulled himself up. Making sure his blaster was safed, he took a breath and shook his head. Coun seemed to be none the worse for wear and if Zeegri's quick reations were any measure, she was fine as well. Two plus metres of furry determination definitely made an effective breaching option.

...If we make it out of here, I'm calling that method of entry The Whiphid...

Sparing Coun a brisk "bro nod" in acknowledgement of his use of momentum, Kallan turned to the Nautolan and offered a quick sitrep.

"I've got a team making a diversion on the north west, they've drawn off most of the hardhats but they could use some help. Two lances of scout troopers are moving from the east side to flank them. If you could convince them not to, the ales are on us."

It was short and to the point, but this didn't seem the time for "Hello and please". For all Kallan knew he was taking to some prickly O-5 with a bad attitude to being told, but they could straighten that out at the debrief if they lived that long. He motioned to Zeegri, indicating he wanted an update an anything she could hear about Yellow Team on the comms. That led to a momentary flicker of worry for Yellow Team. They were still unaccounted for, but there was only so much he could do about that at the moment.

Focusing on making sure he was holding it together helped him stay on task. He had to keep the bigger picture in the background while getting the team to eat this Bantha one mouthful at a time. Kallan wasn't feeling overwhelmed so far, but the situational whiplash was adding up. It helped that Coun and Zeegri were here: they gave him someone to keep himself accountable to.

"General Chadez tasked us with SSE on the Commander's office and Staff Sergeant Tesok is co-ordinating an extract RV for all remaining personnel at 0530hrs" Kallan said as he turned back to the Nautolan. "What's your situation?"
jkelley
Group GM
Full Name: Justin Kelley
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:08 am

Re: Selection Time

Tue Feb 13, 2018 1:36 am

The Nautolan nodded, "Grim and dark. They completely blindsided us, and not many made it in. We've got all the points of entry barricaded, or so we thought," He paused, looking over at Coun, "and a fire team covering each room. We assigned a couple runners on rotation from the noncombatants for communication after we figured out they were listening in on our comms. I hope your guys out there make it out, but we don't have the numbers to get them any relief, and when they decide to push out there, I don't know how long we can hold." He shook his head in disbelief. "Each fire team works out its own watch-rest schedule and we hunker down. That's all I got, you'll need to see brass for the bigger picture."

The Nautolan leaned back against the wall. "Down the hall, stairwell A on the..."

He stopped as one of the apparent runners burst into the room, a human female, most likely a teen. "Spotters saw them making their way over, the message was sent for me to take them to Guilliam."

Nodding, the blue skinned alien turned back to Kallan, "She can take you to Sergeant Guilliam, he's coordinating things around here." He shrugged, almost as-if to say 'sort of'.

"Names Jennison." It was obvious the girl was a noncombatant from her civilian attire, but still held just enough military professionalism, maybe a military brat. "This way." She turned and jogged out the door, heading down the direction the Nautolan had started to indicate.

At the stairwell, Kallan saw a few more teenagers and as well as some older individuals. None wore military uniforms. Jennison paused at a younger boy, "I'll be right back, I just need to get these folks upstairs. There going to help us." She smiled, but Kallan could tell it never reached her eyes. The boy smiled back, turning the smile to Kallan, Zeegri and Coun.

On the second floor Kallan met Guilliam. He had a gruff demeanor and was accompanied by a second grade lieutenant. "Some ballsy stuff there." He said, nodding. "I don't have time for heroes, not right now. You some of Al'kur's cadets?" He gave each of blue team a once over, nodding as he did. "Yeah, that's you guys." He turned to the lieutenant, "Still nothing from the CO?" The LT shook his head negative. "Alright, we got 7 teams on the first floor, plus 7 NCs as runners. I've got 4 spotters on this floor, one at each compass point. CO has been out of contact since this all began, door is locked from the inside. Long-range comms were the first thing taken out, so it's up to us to figure this out. What's the Chief's plan?"
User avatar
Matt Nolan
Posts: 618
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:26 pm

Re: Selection Time

Tue Feb 13, 2018 8:29 pm

On the way up from their entry point, Kallan was making a note of the defenders and how they were arrayed. It was a nasty situation with the non-combatants mixed in with the active defenders. Just one more wrinkle to in an already complex problem set. Walking past the young boy Jennison had stopped to talk to, Kallan gave the lad an encouraging wink. "Alright, mate?" he added as they continued. It wouldn't hurt to spread a little confidence around what essentially looked like group of kids.

Upstairs, Kallan nodded as the gruff NCO filled him in on the position. He wasn't an infantry specialist, but it seemed they had deployed pretty well for what they had. Barring a straight up wave assault on the complex, they should be secure for the short term. There was always room for improvement though, and keeping soldiers tasked was a good way to maintain morale. Kallan noted that the officer hadn't been particularly forward, and only spoke when spoken to. Whether that was inexperience, incompetence or battle shock he couldn't tell but this wasn't a situation which could afford passengers.

...OK, next bite of the Bantha...

"Lieutenant, with your permission Sgt Nik will look over the position, make sure we have interlocking fields and defensive depth." Kallan couldn't remember Coun's actual rank but Sergeant was always a nice, non-specific middle ground. He needed to get a feel for the dynamic here, an understanding of whether the Sergeant was in charge or if the LT was the let it roll type.

"In answer to your question Sergeant, I haven't had any contact with the Master Chief. Orders are to consolidate any remaining personnel and extract to an RV. I need you to prepare your fire teams for a fighting withdrawal. The NC's will move with the command group. And tally up any explosives or pyro's you have, down to the last smoke grenade. We'll need them "

Kallan turned from Sgt Guilliam and back to the junior officer. Hopefully, how these two react should give him some in between the lines idea of what was going on. "Lieutenant, I'd like a moment if I may?" He stepped away a few paces with Zeegri in tow and spoke in a low but mater of fact voice. Time was ticking away and the Imperials wouldn't hold off forever, no matter what their reasons for not destroying the base outright.

"Tell me about the CO, sir."
jkelley
Group GM
Full Name: Justin Kelley
Posts: 308
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 12:08 am

Re: Selection Time

Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:00 pm

Coun gave a nod to Kallan and set off to check the defenses. As he moved off, the squad comlink buzzed a second three pairs of clicks. “Click-click, click-click, click-click.” The frequency went quiet again. Zeegri gave a small smile, inadvertently turning to what Kallan guess was the northwest of the base despite not being near any windows.

The lieutenant obliged Kallan and moved off with him a little. He stood quietly for a moment, mulling over the question about the commander. His voice dropped desperately low as well, and Kallan could tell that Zeegri even had a hard time hearing from just over his shoulder. “You two aren’t a part of this, you can’t be. I’m Lieutenant Amdoza with Republic Intelligence.” He paused, his eyes shifting over to Guilliam. His voice had switched to a normal indoor decibel, “I’ll give these two the quick and dirty up here, see if I can pry anything else out of them.” He smiled and gave the Sergeant a nod before turning and starting down the hallway, motioning for Kallan to walk beside him.

Once they were down the hall, he continued in the same low voice. “Some chatter came through, and this base ended up on a short list of potential targets for an Imperial strike. The interesting part about that is this base doesn’t exist in that sense. Putting two and two together, I knew this had to be the target.” As he finished, Kallan got the impression that it wasn’t so much him figuring it out, but more him trying to find a quick path to success with a big case and luck. “I only arrived a few days before you, under the guise of inspections, representing Intelligence interests in the joint operation, etc. I have a few suspicions that this might involve more than one or two people, but all roads point back to the CO.” Turning down a side hall, he stopped. “His position affords him access to security codes, shipping routes, fleet movements…you name it. The Empire could do a lot with that information before anything came out.” He took a deep breath, weighing his choice of words. “We need to get into his office, determine who his accomplices are, and secure those codes. Otherwise, your plan of extraction won’t make it far if we have a few Imperial lackies in the midst.”

He pointed down the hallway. “The CO’s office is just down the hall and to the right. Keep it quiet, even those still loyal will object to questionings the commander. I’ll get Guilliam to start finalizing the extraction and be back to check on you two. We need to get the old man to talk and we can’t have others finding out.” The lieutenant nodded to Kallan and Zeegri. “Anything either of you need?”

Zeegri piped in, finding a fellow Intelligence operative to share her hypothesis with. “Sir, I was thinking the same thing earlier. The Imps also knew about each of the training teams in the forest. This has all the signs of an inside job. Despite the precariousness of our situation, this is the most likely time to get any involved to identify themselves. We can’t miss even one, or this whole process starts over.”

Amdoza nodded. “Exactly why I need you to get me in the CO’s office so I can extract that information from him.” He turned to Kallan, “You good soldier?”
User avatar
Matt Nolan
Posts: 618
Joined: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:26 pm

Re: Selection Time

Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:32 pm

Amdoza hadn't impressed Kallan with the urgency of his mole-hunt mission. While he was sure that intel could be a dirty game at times, Amdoza seemed a little too quick to throw the Commander under a hoversled. The man definitely looked like he'd come here on a chancer, hoping to clean up with a prize scalp. It was hard to tell exactly who was doing what here, and in the short term it didn't matter. Kallan's mission still stood, and if NRI or Retrieval or whoever else wanted to sweat facts out of the entire base's garrison they were welcome to, providing he and his team could get them all to the RV in the first place.

Kallan needed the spook on side for the moment, so there was no advantage in letting on he was not thrilled with throwing the term treason around without any corroboration. Everyone needed to get to the CO, what happened next was up for grabs. For sure Kallan wasn't about to slot an NR Navy Commander in his own office just to keep an NRI operation quiet.

A SpecForces Master Sergeant had once summed it up after a mission Kallan had supported them on for NRI: "Spies, damn spies and mystics: none of them will give you a straight answer." The EOD tech turned medic would rather be deactivating an IED blindfolded in a malfunctioning airlock that sort out this drek, but this was were he was, so there was no point whining about it.

"Yes sir, we can get you in the office. Sort the others out so no-one catches on, we'll secure the CO."

With a motion of his head to Zeegri up the corridor indicated by Amdoza, Kallan headed on quiet feet towards the CO' office. Once out of the other officer's hearing he pressed Zeegri for detail on the comm chatter. He also wanted to square away his thoughts on the what they were doing with the Commander: Kallan wanted at least one person whose reactions he could rely on if this went dynamic.

"Anything going on with Yellow Team I need to know about?"

Kallan kept the tone light enough to not sound peeved that she hadn't already said so, but serious enough that he wasn't making light of the fact that the other three were out there probably under heavy fire.

"I see his point, but it could just as easily be the CO's adjutant, or one of the cleaners for that matter. It's not as though we can hold a MonCal backwards over his desk and pour water on his face until he talks. We secure the data, demo the offices and extract. Pulling out fingernails can wait until the blasterfire stops."

When they came closer to the CO's office, Kallan slowed down, wanting to get a feel for any indications of what was occurring inside before they popped the door, assuming Zeegri was up to the task. Ideally the Sullast Intel Operative could slice the door and they could make entry before anyone inside was aware of what was going on.

"All yours, " Kallan breathed quietly as he indicated the doorway to Zeegri.

Return to “JARSID”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests